General (RSS 2.0)" href="http://w2.lesmills.com/Community/forums/rss.aspx?ForumID=30&Mode=0" />

Les Mills in iTunes

Last post 11-16-2010, 8:27 AM by tiger75. 6 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  11-16-2010, 5:52 AM 96014

Les Mills in iTunes

I was wondering why the music (cd's) of the Les Mills programs are not available in iTunes. All the participants can download the original cd's.

Now everybody who want to have the music is forced to download it the illegal way and I don't think that is the good way.

•  11-16-2010, 6:29 AM 96016 in reply to 96014

Re: Les Mills in iTunes

BertPleizier:

I was wondering why the music (cd's) of the Les Mills programs are not available in iTunes. All the participants can download the original cd's.

Now everybody who want to have the music is forced to download it the illegal way and I don't think that is the good way.

Well (and I'm responding assuming that you're not an instructor), the Les Mills cds that instructors use in class are legally for instructors only and not intended for general consumption - I believe that this due to licensing of the music used (but am happy to stand corrected). The first thing a new instructor does at module training (in the UK at least) is to sign a deed of understanding confirming that. Same goes for the rest of the training material including DVD, choreography notes etc etc.

As you mentioned some music ends up on various sites although I'm not quite sure just how easy it is to actually download, or indeed, if you're going to get the actual mix used in class.

•  11-16-2010, 6:46 AM 96017 in reply to 96016

On the other side of this coin, if you like the music we play and do not care if it is mixed the same way as what we play you can download pretty much all of it on itunes. By that I mean LM takes songs and remixes them so that the chorus or verse may repeat as needed to fit the chorey of a class. Now if we play for example "Basshunter - All I ever wanted" and you really like it.... no we can not give you a copy, nor can you access the version that LM is distributing, however Basshunter is an artist an I am sure he would not mind if you went to itunes and purchases his music Big Smile There are some covers you are not likely to find however.

If you are just listening to it or out on the gym floor I dont think you really need our version anyway.

•  11-16-2010, 7:03 AM 96018 in reply to 96014

BertPleizier:

On another note

You can find some LesMills music on Youtube though.

However, the cover versions are tricky to find in Youtube.

There is a program, I don't remember the name of this program, where you  can convert, the music that you listened on the Youtube webpage into a MP3 playable song.

•  11-16-2010, 7:44 AM 96024 in reply to 96018

I'm not an instructor yet (In Jan. or Feb. I start with the RPM module).

The music in the Les Mills programs is not the same version as the original tracks. And I like the mixed tracks. Downloading the original tracks from iTunes or YouTube is not an option.

And I don't know what the problem would be when the Les Mills music will be available in iTunes, because when you download it, you pay for the licence.

•  11-16-2010, 8:21 AM 96027 in reply to 96024

Yeah, I hear you and I'm sure one day that it'll be downloadable in one (or more regions) but even then it's still only instructors who can have the actual music.

The other frustrating thing for new instrcutors is that there's a limit to how much of a back catalog you can have (e.g. I trained on BC35 and couldn't buy anything earlier than that in the UK so it took a while to build up a collection but even then it's better to teach the stuff you know properly rather than trying to learn everything possible).

Glad I'm not the one co-ordinating it all (must be down to the local agent.......you'd think anyway) given that there's different licensing laws between countries e.g. in the UK there's gyms which currently forbid the use of iPods or copied cds which at present would leave me technically stuffed.

•  11-16-2010, 8:27 AM 96029 in reply to 96024

BertPleizier:

And I don't know what the problem would be when the Les Mills music will be available in iTunes, because when you download it, you pay for the licence.

Good point. There would be a market for LesMills there because there are some who are willing to pay to have these songs, but it's only available for instructors.

And you soon will do the RPM module, so be patient.. :-)

View as RSS news feed in XML