struggling with bicep/tricep tracks, any advice on how to improve?

Last post 06-27-2010, 5:19 AM by jtoon. 8 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  05-02-2010, 10:05 PM 84184

struggling with bicep/tricep tracks, any advice on how to improve?

hi everyone im really gettin into pump now, only been 5 weeks, so while i have managed to increase weights on most tracks, im really struggling with the tricep and bicep tracks.

My warm up weight is 6kg, and i use that for the tricep and bicep tracks, and i only just manage to get through. I dont know if its the fact a have a minor RSI in my right arm, im not very strong or a combination of the 2.

My main aim is to tone and my programme is as follows : pump on monday and wednesday and combat on friday, saturday and sunday. Im thinkin of doing some weights in the gym after combat on saturdays to help with strength, does this sound like a good idea?

thanks tracy

•  05-02-2010, 10:17 PM 84185 in reply to 84184

Re: struggling with bicep/tricep tracks, any advice on how to improve?

The tris and bis are small muscle groups, and certainly will not be able to carry as much load as the larger areas. They may also take longer to progress. Give yourself some time, too -- five weeks is a great start, but it just make take your body a bit longer to really start to get gains in those areas.

Also, you SHOULD just be managing to get through tracks. The last rep or two should BURN, and you should just barely be getting through, but also maintaining form. Even as an experienced Pumper (and instructor), when I participate, my arms are dying by the last few reps. That just means you're working hard, and the results will eventually come!

Your fitness schedule looks intense -- a lot of cardio on the weekends. I don't do Combat, so I can't really speak to that. But, on the strength side of things, adding a weights session on Friday or Saturday may be useful if you're really looking to make gains in strength. However, you probably also want to check with your Combat instructor to get their take on whether to do weights before or after Combat, or if combining the two on the same day is a good idea.

Be good to yourself! Results take TIME, but they do come. Keep at it!

•  05-03-2010, 8:39 PM 84275 in reply to 84184

tracyburgess:

hi everyone im really gettin into pump now, only been 5 weeks, so while i have managed to increase weights on most tracks, im really struggling with the tricep and bicep tracks.

My warm up weight is 6kg, and i use that for the tricep and bicep tracks, and i only just manage to get through. I dont know if its the fact a have a minor RSI in my right arm, im not very strong or a combination of the 2.

My main aim is to tone and my programme is as follows : pump on monday and wednesday and combat on friday, saturday and sunday. Im thinkin of doing some weights in the gym after combat on saturdays to help with strength, does this sound like a good idea?

thanks tracy

You are stronger than you think if you can do 6kgs on each side for biceps and keep good form. 

•  05-03-2010, 9:00 PM 84276 in reply to 84275

I've been doing Pump as a participant for 4 years & only do 5kgs max each side for Triceps & Biceps - even less for shoulders.... good technique is far more inportant than using heavier weights
  •  05-03-2010, 9:36 PM 84281 in reply to 84276

lol, i wish i could do 6kg on each side, i meant 6kg in total, 3 kg on each side, but yeah i have only been doing it a few weeks, so it will take a few months to get stronger, but i think i will add on one weights session in the gym on saturdays to even it out.

im finding it a bit difficult too cos im trying to copy the instructor (cos im new to it) and concentrate on my technique at the same time, but i will get there, it doesnt matter that i have low weights for now, its better than doing no exercise at all.

thanks

tracy

•  05-03-2010, 10:22 PM 84285 in reply to 84281

tracyburgess:

but i think i will add on one weights session in the gym on saturdays to even it out.

One of the instructor here gave me this advice and I managed to upgrade my weights from 5 kg each side to 7,5 max.You would say it's not a huge gap but it is.

Good luck in your goal! Yes

•  06-26-2010, 5:38 PM 88076 in reply to 84281

Technique and feel first, weight second!  You can make any weight feel heavier if you use proper technique.  Work on that!  The increases will come when your body is ready.
  •  06-27-2010, 2:18 AM 88098 in reply to 84184

It is not about how much weights you can dish out but how you can work that muscle.  Going up weights on the biceps and triceps are a struggle but if you got great form and you feel it burning at the end of the track, you are doing good.  It is a small muscle, increase is smaller than the larger muscles.  As far as going to do weights on your own, they really help but don't over due yourself. 
  •  06-27-2010, 5:19 AM 88111 in reply to 84184

6kgs across the bar isn't a bad effort! I think you also need to remember the bi's and tri's are a much smaller muscle group in comparison to the other tracks - so, relatively, adding an extra kilo each end is a pretty big jump.

You'll get there if you stick at it - it's always a good thing if you're struggling on that last rep, regardless of the weight you're pushing.

View as RSS news feed in XML