Pregnancy and Body Pump

Last post 05-31-2007, 3:44 PM by cucumber. 10 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  05-30-2007, 2:34 AM 7458

Pregnancy and Body Pump

Hi Guys

Maybe this has already been covered but a friend of mine who joins me at our local Body Pump classes has recently found out she is pregnant.  She would like to continue with the classes but would like to know if this is safe or any circumstances when it may not be safe.

Can you please let me know!

Many thanks

•  05-30-2007, 4:50 AM 7470 in reply to 7458

Re: Pregnancy and Body Pump

Just ask the doctor.

I know a girl who attended class on a monday (complete with belly and all) and didn't show up for class on thursday. We were joking that while we were pumping, she was delivering. Indeed she was only 3 days after her last workout.

•  05-30-2007, 7:15 AM 7485 in reply to 7470

Thanks

She did ask her doctor whether Body Pump would be safe and had to go into great detail about what it entailed and the doctor advised she would be OK but to double check as she didn't get exactly what body pump is (my friend only joined recently and found it difficult to explain!).

If there was a heavily pregnant lady in your class then i'm sure it's sound!  Excellent news!

Cheers 

•  05-30-2007, 8:13 AM 7490 in reply to 7485

We have an instructor at our club who was pregnant with twins. She did BP three times a week without fail until only two weeks before the delivery. It was comical at the end watching her do the clean and press up and around the belly! She was back at it only 6 weeks later.

She is extremely fit. A lot would depend upon the fitness level and age of the participant. I really admire women that take care of themselves during pregnancy. It is very unselfish to eat well, work hard and stay fit for your baby.

•  05-30-2007, 12:40 PM 7496 in reply to 7490

I pumped through my pregnancy with no issues.  I, too, had a heck of time getting the bar over my belly in the last weeks.  The instructor should be able to get a handout Les Mills prepared about pumping during pregnancy and the recommended modifications (we actually have a stack of them sitting out at our clubs).  Modifications typically involve not laying flat (at an angle instead) and understanding the shifting center of gravity as the baby (babies?) grows.

For me, I switched to an angled bench during my last couple months; I stopped using a bar in lunges during the last month; I gradually lowered the weight during back because of having to clear the belly during clean and press.  Since I had to go out away from the body a bit I didn't want to hurt my shoulders.  And since I was the instructor I could also select tracks that were more pregnancy-friendly.

•  05-30-2007, 2:59 PM 7506 in reply to 7458

I pumped until the night before delivery and pushed only four times with the same squat muscles.    We had a conversation in the delivery room about body pump and I tried to persuade the doctor and nurse to try it out. 

I only had trouble with the clean and press exercise when the tummy was too big.  I had to bring the bar around the belly before reaching the lower chest.  BTW, make sure the step is inclined (head on the higher side) during the chest and tricep tracks. 

Most doctors would advise conservatively on the safe side.  Only   a pregnant lady knows about how much her body can take it.    Every pregnancy is different. 

•  05-30-2007, 5:40 PM 7510 in reply to 7506

bpmum:

I pumped until the night before delivery and pushed only four times with the same squat muscles.    We had a conversation in the delivery room about body pump and I tried to persuade the doctor and nurse to try it out. 

I only had trouble with the clean and press exercise when the tummy was too big.  I had to bring the bar around the belly before reaching the lower chest.  BTW, make sure the step is inclined (head on the higher side) during the chest and tricep tracks. 

Most doctors would advise conservatively on the safe side.  Only   a pregnant lady knows about how much her body can take it.    Every pregnancy is different. 

Pump wasn't around when I was pregnant. But know of many fellow instructors and participants that have continued to pump throughout their pregnancy with little or no problems. 

However every pregnancy is different and as long as your friend's is progressing normally without complications there is no reason not to keep participating in pump. Tell her to listen toher body and modify if necessary and lower her weights.

A few of the instructors had a bad time at delivery but most had no problems at all. There it is again every one is different.

Tell your friend good luck with the pregnancy!

Happy Pumping!

Always Be the Best You Can, Never Ever, Ever Give Up! Dare to be Different! What You See is What You Get!
  •  05-31-2007, 2:42 AM 7521 in reply to 7510

bpmum, would you explain what you meant by "pushed only four times with the same squat muscles"?  I hope you're not advocating squat technique involving pushing out through the pelvic floor!

•  05-31-2007, 6:59 AM 7532 in reply to 7521

My pumpinstructor tells all (not that there are many, just once in a while) the pregnant women in class to take care with some exercises. No clean and presses after several weeks, because you may not stretch the muscles in your belly. no straight situps, but only go sideways etc.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm a man, I don't think I can bear to go training when I could become pregnant, R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to pregnant women.

•  05-31-2007, 3:41 PM 7564 in reply to 7458

Hi,

I carried on until about the 6th/7th month. I reduced my weight before then too. Post seven months I just felt too big to carry on although some women are lucky and just have tiny bumps! Not me :)

•  05-31-2007, 3:44 PM 7565 in reply to 7564

PS

Just to say I stopped abdominal exercises at about 15 wks (as advised by doctor) also chest and triceps were done on inverted bench (as advised by doctor again)

View as RSS news feed in XML