alternative exercises for participant who can't do lunges or squats?

Last post 01-08-2010, 5:41 PM by RexFury. 9 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  01-06-2010, 5:38 AM 74184

alternative exercises for participant who can't do lunges or squats?

hi everyone - we have a class member who loves Pump but after a knee injury was told by her doctor that she can't do squats or lunges anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions for alternative exercises she can do during the track so she doesn't have to leave the room or just stand there and watch?

Instead of lunges, I thought of a standing rear leg lift and instead of squats I thought perhaps a standing front knee lift and/or leg lift to the side. Anything else? Thanks in advance!

•  01-06-2010, 5:53 AM 74186 in reply to 74184

Re: alternative exercises for participant who can't do lunges or squats?

Hey Lisa,

Is she unable to bend at the knee due to the injury?  I also have knee problems, and have found that the tripod allows me to do squats and lunges. When I am limited from doing those, I just stay higher off the floor. To take it a step further, I'll wear a knee brace if I'm determined to do the routine, so on rare occasions, I'll include all 3 options. Definitely not the picture perfect movement, but at least I'm moving with the class.

•  01-06-2010, 7:45 AM 74193 in reply to 74186

Hi Robert....not sure what the extent of her injury is...but I did offer the tripod option for lunges and squats so she would at least be moving with the rest of the class and she said she didn't want to risk it.
  •  01-06-2010, 9:43 AM 74199 in reply to 74193

Don't blame her, when my knees or back were too bad, I'd just leave during those 2 tracks (as long as I could lift the bar, cuz I hated missing pump), but my instructor knew why I was heading out. Hope she recovers soon.
  •  01-06-2010, 5:30 PM 74205 in reply to 74184

i think it is a question for her doctor really ....
  •  01-06-2010, 6:11 PM 74207 in reply to 74184

Lisa_P:

hi everyone - we have a class member who loves Pump but after a knee injury was told by her doctor that she can't do squats or lunges anymore.

Do you mean at all, with reduced ROM or just not weighted. The answer will radically alter options available.

To further mrtimothy's suggestion - rather she needs to discuss this matter with a sports physio, as most orthopods have little involvement in rehab exercise programs.

Also, for thought, consider that a partial range squat is required on the upward and downward portion of each C&P in Back track.

The forum member "pipera" is not a Les Mills Instructor, though his posts, signature and profile will falsely claim otherwise.

Since he has been economical with the truth on his profile, read the real facts here.
  •  01-06-2010, 7:32 PM 74212 in reply to 74207

We have girl in our class who also for some reason has modified her squats.  She backs up to a wall with a stability ball behind her.  She rolls up and down the wall doing just the top half of a squat without using any additional weights.  It looks pretty easy on the knees.  She leaves the room for lunge track.  
  •  01-07-2010, 12:17 PM 74248 in reply to 74212

Seems a bit sad to leave the room. Is it because staying makes them feel uncomfortable?
    BODYSTEP, BODYPUMP and BODYBALANCE participant
  •  01-08-2010, 4:06 AM 74277 in reply to 74248

At the risk of being jumped on - I'd ask you to consider whether she'd be better off finding something else to do. If she cannot do squats or lunges then there will be 2 complete tracks that she cannot do and parts of 2 other tracks (warmup and back) that she cannot do - at least a third of the class! There comes a time when you have to consider if doing the programme is the best thing for someone...
  •  01-08-2010, 5:41 PM 74304 in reply to 74277

ck1-:
    At the risk of being jumped on - I'd ask you to consider whether she'd be better off finding something else to do. If she cannot do squats or lunges then there will be 2 complete tracks that she cannot do and parts of 2 other tracks (warmup and back) that she cannot do - at least a third of the class! There comes a time when you have to consider if doing the programme is the best thing for someone...

I agree completely.  Plus there are all kinds of little moves like getting set up, getting down onto the bench for chest and tricep tracks, and so on that require use of the knees under load.

Reminds me of when I had hernia surgery and they told me absolutely no lifting for six weeks, yet they didn't offer me a clue as to how to get into and out of bed.

Rex

Check out my facebook page. I'm always looking for a few good friends. Oh, Excuse me... May I motivate you?
View as RSS news feed in XML