calories burnt in 45 minute class

Last post 12-09-2009, 3:03 AM by pipera. 69 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  •  11-04-2009, 1:39 PM 70389

calories burnt in 45 minute class

Some instructors tell us we will burn up to 800 calories per class.  This sounds like rubbish to me.  I suppose a very large male participant might achieve this, but it still sounds a bit unlikely.  I weigh 50kgs, and doubt that I would burn more than 200 calories per class (and I like to think I work very hard in class).

What do you instructors really think?

•  11-04-2009, 4:53 PM 70401 in reply to 70389

Re: calories burnt in 45 minute class

at 50kgs on a cross trainer (elliptical trainer) you would burn on average approx 550 calories, at about 14.0 kms an hour, so you'd be burning about the same if not more in an RPM class :)
  •  11-04-2009, 5:36 PM 70403 in reply to 70401

If you are interested in figuring out numbers it may be worth investing in a Polar watch/monitor. I usually burn around 600 +cals depending on what tracks are being used. I have participated in RPM religiously for 4 years and now teach it. RPM is known as the "calorie killer" so in order for you to maximise your calorie burning effort you need to be pretty honest with your load and cadence. When you are training in your peak tracks (being 3,5 & 7) you should be pushing load that makes you feel as though if you stopped pushing the pedal that it would stop the second you stop pushing - does this make sense?  In your pace tracks you use a gear that feels "sticky"  and when you stop pushing the pedals they "wind back" slowly to the half beat. Do you feel this difference when you ride?

In general, what you put in is what you get out...so make sure that you get on your bike wanting to push the boundaries. Get inspired and go hard. You are able to achieve a lot more if you believe you can do it and let go of the fear of how much it hurts. Don't let fear hold you back from being and doing the best you can.

•  11-04-2009, 6:30 PM 70409 in reply to 70389

catfanaticau:

Some instructors tell us we will burn up to 800 calories per class.  This sounds like rubbish to me.  I suppose a very large male participant might achieve this, but it still sounds a bit unlikely.  I weigh 50kgs, and doubt that I would burn more than 200 calories per class (and I like to think I work very hard in class).

First up, not an instructor, but I have worked pretty hard in RPM before.

The best I ever achieved was 725 kcals (I'm about 70kg). This recorded by a Polar F11.

Remember that the total count any HRM reports should be taken with a pinch of salt. The only way to accurately measure expenditure would be to measure your VO2 with a metabolic cart. The trend that a HRM will generate over time will be far more useful.

The forum member "pipera" is not a Les Mills Instructor, though his posts, signature and profile will falsely claim otherwise.

Since he has been economical with the truth on his profile, read the real facts here.
  •  11-05-2009, 12:45 AM 70425 in reply to 70389

catfanaticau:

One of my instructors told me that you can reach up to 900 calories per class. It depends on the track.

•  11-05-2009, 3:50 AM 70443 in reply to 70425

In one of the RPM releases they did a study of caloric expenditures.  They had a room of men and women, different builds, different ages, different athletic abilities.  All wore HRM's.   Calories burned depends on sex, age,  athletic ability and how hard did you put the resistance.  Low for a female was about 220, the high was about 479.  For Males, I don't remember low, maybe about 400(more muscle mass) but the high was abouit 800 or 850.   I myself, female, older ( ???? DIDN"T SAY HOW OLD) have burned as much 420 in a class.  Sometime less.  The HRM are not totally accurate and are very dependant on how you set them.  
    jen
  •  11-05-2009, 6:06 AM 70453 in reply to 70389

It's something I've always been interested in, but more from the workout vs recovery time.  As a result though, I've got a couple of Polar watches (F6 & F11), and a Suunto (T6C) and they seem to correlate calorie expenditure quite well.

As a comparison when I first got the Suunto, I wore both it and the F11 and the calorie calculation was within 2%, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they are wildly inaccurate.  All depends on how fussy you are when you first set them up, and keep them up to date with weight.

On average though, I burn around 650-700 calories in a 45m class.  I'm 41, 6ft 2, 200lbs Crying

•  11-05-2009, 8:21 PM 70506 in reply to 70453

Saftlad:

.. when I first got the Suunto, I wore both it and the F11 and the calorie calculation was within 2%, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they are wildly inaccurate.

Just out of interest, were you using the same chest strap for both, or did you wear one for each HRM?

The forum member "pipera" is not a Les Mills Instructor, though his posts, signature and profile will falsely claim otherwise.

Since he has been economical with the truth on his profile, read the real facts here.
  •  11-05-2009, 8:33 PM 70508 in reply to 70453

Saftlad:
    It's something I've always been interested in, but more from the workout vs recovery time.  As a result though, I've got a couple of Polar watches (F6 & F11), and a Suunto (T6C) and they seem to correlate calorie expenditure quite well.

As a comparison when I first got the Suunto, I wore both it and the F11 and the calorie calculation was within 2%, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they are wildly inaccurate.  All depends on how fussy you are when you first set them up, and keep them up to date with weight.

As well they should since they all use heart rate as a basis for calculations.  So assuming that you've used the same weight, height, age, whatever data in all, then they should strongly correlate and even be exactly accurate when used by some mythical model person.  Who may be a lot different than you.

You can get just as significant relative information from just your average heart rate during the class.  Did I burn more or fewer calories in this class versus whatever?  The exact number of calories is about as useful as number of minutes you are awake in a day.

Check out my facebook page. I'm always looking for a few good friends. Oh, Excuse me... May I motivate you?
  •  11-06-2009, 12:14 AM 70514 in reply to 70506

Had to wear a separate strap for each Sad
  •  11-12-2009, 11:24 PM 71114 in reply to 70443

jen123:
    In one of the RPM releases they did a study of caloric expenditures.  They had a room of men and women, different builds, different ages, different athletic abilities.  All wore HRM's.   Calories burned depends on sex, age,  athletic ability and how hard did you put the resistance.  Low for a female was about 220, the high was about 479.  For Males, I don't remember low, maybe about 400(more muscle mass) but the high was abouit 800 or 850.   I myself, female, older ( ???? DIDN"T SAY HOW OLD) have burned as much 420 in a class.  Sometime less.  The HRM are not totally accurate and are very dependant on how you set them.  

Bought a Polar HR monitor yesterday and set it correctly to my weight,sex, age and height.  I was disappointed that it recorded I had burned 250 cals in a 55 minute class.  I thought I was working pretty hard (to judge by the wet floor by my bike, I was indeed working hard).

I did a Pump class straight after that, and according to the HR monitor, burned 150 cals.

I guess I just have to work harder in RPM - I don't need to lose the weight (am only 50kgs), but a result of 250 cals per RPM indicates I am being lazy!

•  11-13-2009, 4:24 AM 71134 in reply to 71114

200 cals in RPM!! I've used more than that teaching Body Balance!! Indifferent

Teaching RPM I average between 550-650 cals in a normal lesson (45min workout + cool downs).

•  12-04-2009, 7:49 PM 72452 in reply to 71134

Yes, only 250 calories in a standard RPM class!  Today I did RPM extreme (an extra two tracks), and achieved the grand total calorie burn of 315 calories.

I do work hard, honest!

cheers

Penny 

•  12-04-2009, 8:39 PM 72455 in reply to 71114

catfanaticau:

Bought a Polar HR monitor yesterday and set it correctly to my weight,sex, age and height.  I was disappointed that it recorded I had burned 250 cals in a 55 minute class.  I thought I was working pretty hard (to judge by the wet floor by my bike, I was indeed working hard).

I did a Pump class straight after that, and according to the HR monitor, burned 150 cals.

I guess I just have to work harder in RPM - I don't need to lose the weight (am only 50kgs), but a result of 250 cals per RPM indicates I am being lazy!

Polar HRM straps can be notoriously fickle.

If it's dry when you first put it on, it won't record anything until you've sweated a bit. So you can easily lose a track or two until the contacts in the strap are wet enough to start reading your HR. Running the strap under the tap for a few seconds before putting it on gets round this.

They also tend to be prone to artefact esp during the more athletic tracks in BP. The strap needs to be pretty snug to make sure the contacts stay against skin the whole time.

Watch out too for cross-talk. The strap should be coded to your watch but I've found mine gets confused esp if there are a few other people nearby also using a HRM.

catfanaticau:

Yes, only 250 calories in a standard RPM class!  Today I did RPM extreme (an extra two tracks), and achieved the grand total calorie burn of 315 calories 

I do work hard, honest!

And now you have an excuse to work even harder!

I wouldn't get too worried about the absolute value the HRM gives you. Instead the important thing would be to try to incrementally increase your expenditure per class. That will give you a goal to aim for and some tangible sign of improvement.

•  12-04-2009, 9:28 PM 72456 in reply to 70389

catfanaticau:

From Les Mills International: 

RPM® is a fun, athletic, cardiovascular cycling workout that burns calories in record time – up to 600 in a single ride. It provides lightening quick improvement in endurance, as well as a fast boost in lower body strength. Most importantly, it is perfect for men and women of all fitness levels, and has controlled speeds to ensure that everyone
    can keep up!

Studies performed at Unisports Center for Sports Performance proved conclusively that RPM could burn more than 600+ calories in 45minutes.

Interval training maximizes the training effect during sessions of short duration such as the 45minute RPM format. By increasing the intensity within the session, we reduce the need for high volume and decrease the incidence of injury due to overuse and fatigue overload.

Reference: 

• The Caloric Expenditure and Aerobic Demands of BODYSTEP, BODYATTACK, BODYCOMBAT and RPM. Lythe. J and Pfitzinger. P, Unisports Center for Sports Performance, Auckland, New Zealand (April 2000)
    • RPM The Calorie Killer, (2002) Les Mills International 

Cheers!

Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML