BodyPump 83... my review for anyone who's interested

Last post 10-04-2012, 1:43 AM by tiger75. 38 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
  •  08-20-2012, 9:01 AM 136022

BodyPump 83... my review for anyone who's interested

Got a chance to do BP 83 this weekend at CanFitPro.  I'm not going to reveal every little detail about the release (even though reading about it is never the same as actually doing it) but I will provide my quick assessment of how I feel that it went down.

Basically I like 83 WAY more than 82 and I loved 82.  The music is very energetic, every track a strong pulsing energetic beat (and that includes no buzz killing on T6 with a droning, shouting rock song... we get that in the Ab track instead Wink )

T1:  Warmup wasn't as messed up as 82.  There is a little innovation here with the moves but it flows just like any other warmup.  Could it be... Clean and Press in the warmup???  Smile  Finally a chance to help the participants get a preview of this move before we hit T4!!  The song was great but I found the choreo either didn't match the music or the master trainer messed it up (probably the latter as everyone else was looking confused during the points I thought didn't feel right)

T2:  Squats- Yeah, Summer of '69 AGAIN.  This is probably my only beef with this release.  However the version is more like the original, slower, less techno-scratch and more loud rock-n'roll.  Oh, and the 7x (4x) sets of bottom halves at the end, which I didn't find was really that bad (maybe after doing it for 3 weeks in a row, I'll change my tune).

T3: Chest- standard chest track with regular moves, no pushups.  This one is going to be really easy to learn, it kind of goes back to the old chest track routines of the BP 50s. The song was great and uplifting.

T4: Back/Hamstrings -  Go back to your notes on BP 81 and you have this track, with a slight adjustment.  4 rounds, 1st one a bracer, then 3x repeat the pattern.  There's a 2x Clean/2x row pattern, then your sets of Power press in each one.  I found my core/midsection was really taxed during this track because of the structure of the work.

T5: Triceps- LOVE this track.  Simple easy-to-learn track, like the releases of the 40s with a real 'feelgood' factor...  bench work then plate work, it also has the pullover press back in.  The song cover is really good and is VERY close to the Wanted's original version.

T6: Biceps- Word of note:  GO HEAVY on this track.  I found it ridiculously short and not difficult at all on my regular bicep weight.  Again, song is very good and energetic and did I say it was really short?  When it finished everyone was looking around saying, "That's it?" 

HOWEVER... LMI is starting to consider 'beginner options'... there is a point in this track where you can advise people to put their bar down for a break, or keep working with you, the instructor.  Glen said this is going to be a philosophy carried through into BP 84, so get used to it now...

T7: Lunges- I found this one longer than usual lunge tracks.  The Squat jumps are back, amidst some repeated rounds of Squat/Lunge combos.  I really liked this version of Manian's song and the routine is slightly harder than BP 82's Lunge track. There is a fun "partner-style" challenge at the end Smile where I'm going to love being able to center out one person in the group and push them to "bring it" against my efforts...!

T8: Shoulders-  Who else can motivate a shoulder track like Scooter? Circuit-style training again beginning with pushups and having a standing rear-delt, side-lateral, then Mac Raise combo x2 for the body of work, ending with front shoulder presses, the last set re-using the pulse press handicap from BP 82 to get through them.

T9: Core/Abs- Nickleback can work this one OK, slow bicycle-style crunches again with side rotating planks worked in.. I thought they were like BP 66 "Extreme Ways" but in these, the feet are apart and the whole body is allowed to rotate.  I wonder if this is being done in CXWORX already...

T10: Cooldown- like any other cooldown.

I did a bunch of other LMI programs that day, and Pump 83 was the one that most impressed me...  so I'm looking forward to receiving my kit in September. Every once in a while a release comes around that's really stellar on several levels, and I feel this one should be considered that for that designation Cool

•  08-20-2012, 12:03 PM 136030 in reply to 136022

Re: BodyPump 83... my review for anyone who's interested

Larry_T:

T9: Core/Abs- Nickleback can work this one OK, slow bicycle-style crunches again with Mountain Climber worked in.. almost identical to BP 82.

Unless your or my presenter screwed up the track, I don't recall doing Mountain Climbers, we finished with rotating side hovers.

The rest of your review is spot on, Love your work.

•  08-20-2012, 1:26 PM 136032 in reply to 136030

mikeaj:

Larry_T:

T9: Core/Abs- Nickleback can work this one OK, slow bicycle-style crunches again with Mountain Climber worked in.. almost identical to BP 82.

Unless your or my presenter screwed up the track, I don't recall doing Mountain Climbers, we finished with rotating side hovers.

The rest of your review is spot on, Love your work.

Oh sorry Mike, you're absolutely right, I was mixing that up with Attack  :P  (I did a lot that day).. I forgot the rotating side hovers!!!

Corrected in my original post Embarrassed

•  08-20-2012, 3:09 PM 136034 in reply to 136022

Good Review got my release Friday can't wait to check it out.
  •  08-20-2012, 3:35 PM 136036 in reply to 136034

Larry, I was there.... it was AWESOME!

Also, I did AIM, it too was AWESOME!

BODYPUMP and BODYATTACK Instructor BODYPUMP Team Lead
  •  08-20-2012, 9:32 PM 136052 in reply to 136036

Thanks so much for the review Larry Yes  I get to see this on September 1st, can't wait!
  •  08-21-2012, 10:00 AM 136074 in reply to 136022

Well, I'm not that impressed. More than half of the music is over repetitive and too synthetic. It gets on my nerves already. Plus the Summer of 69, AGAIN?!?!! Come on...

Warmup choreo is the usual Glen with 4 squats only. Better to pump up shoulders and biceps instead. Doh!

Like the back track, a lot. Good piece of music and a really great choreo. Highlight of the release.

Biceps choreo could be better. It just doesn't feel right, it doesn't flow well with otherwise great music.

I'm still not fond of jump squats. At least they now show the low impact option. Watch out how Glen demonstrates the 90-90 rule. When he stands up, his back leg isn't where it should be, hence too narrow split stance...

Larry forgot to mention another long set of pushups just before the shoulder bar work. Ouch!

Abs are good, but the cooldown is horrible.
  •  08-21-2012, 3:09 PM 136081 in reply to 136074

awesome review, thanks bro!  I'm still waiting for mine to hit my mailbox.  Hopefully today it'll be waiting for me when I get home
  •  09-07-2012, 10:24 AM 136678 in reply to 136081

Larry,

I haven't had the chance to read your review before, but thanks for it.

But I overall agree with you. The warmup track is not that messy ^^

A good strong release.  Yes

•  09-08-2012, 2:40 AM 136692 in reply to 136022

Larry_T:

T1:  Warmup wasn't as messed up as 82.  There is a little innovation here with the moves but it flows just like any other warmup.  Could it be... Clean and Press in the warmup???  Smile  Finally a chance to help the participants get a preview of this move before we hit T4!!  The song was great but I found the choreo either didn't match the music or the master trainer messed it up (probably the latter as everyone else was looking confused during the points I thought didn't feel right)

Could it be? Well, no, not really... Could've been but instead it's just 2/2 UR OH Press combo followed by a pause before OH singles which just feel a bit odd...

Again, it's a warmup that just doesn't flow...

•  09-09-2012, 1:12 AM 136704 in reply to 136692

Looking forward to a track 8 all bar work, no push-ups, no plates, just a simple track 8 with a barbell + plates. 

Need a track 8 with pelvic lifts, reverse crunches, and simple ab crunches. 

Need a track 2 -3 breaks, slower tempo.

Overall, love this release. Highlight tracks 2,3,4,7,9 and 10.

Will do a review later, as I am a lazy person lately, and have a fond hatred of typing, as my day job is now typing all day, every day.

•  09-09-2012, 4:16 PM 136718 in reply to 136022

Excellent review Larry_T – you’ve certainly ‘hit the nail on the head’ Yes

Got my DVD & CD over here in the UK yesterday lunchtime and have watched the DVD about 5-times now – can’t wait to teach it tomorrow evening – the class are in for a real treat.

Yep, BP82 was good but like you say this is better – it’s Awesome !

T1 Warm-up has a lot going on, so no time for people to relax (excellent as I hate pauses) and not too worried about the lack of squats as you get them in spades in;

T2 – especially with those ‘pressure cooker’ bottom half’s at the end.

T3 works well and has loads of hooks to pick up on (can’t wait to say to my class “if you’re sexy and you know it, put your hands in the air”).

T4 is really going to raise the heart rate – good combo of moves with clean & presses, rows, power presses & triples all working well together.

T5 Catchy number – choreo flows, nice to see press-pullover combo back and love the sheer number of Standing Overhead Triceps Extensions (tough like BP77)

T6 Three words - Short, short and short ! apart from perhaps newbies, I can’t see why you’d want the option to put the bar down with a heavier weight – I mean it’s only two super slows and besides “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” Wink

T7 Nice thumping beat to pick up on and mix of squats & lunges. Jump Squats at end will help get the oxygen into the upper body ready for the 16X pushup’s on the Shoulder Track.

T8 Scooter and Shoulders naturally go together – Awesome track, me like a lot – especially pre-fatiguing with second set of pushup’s just before Standing Overhead Presses.

T9 was pleased to see that Nickelback works – Hey, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Big Smile

T10 Love the music – flows nicely – only thing I’d have changed on the choreo is coming up a sec or two quicker for a standing hamstring stretch, rather than the kneeling one, but that’s just a personal preference of mine.

So overall, Awesome release – just off to view that DVD again and get ‘in the groove’, ready for tomorrow Cool
  •  09-11-2012, 5:39 AM 136757 in reply to 136718

Would have to say this is one of the best Bodypump releases ever. It stacks up there with Bodypump 76. The music is awesome, based on the PPCA Free version of Bodypump 83. I am amazed every release with the cover artists and music. The cover version of the Chris Brown track blew my mind "Turn Up the Music" - Uninvited Addict. The cover of "When we stand together" - The Result also blew my mind. Overall musically a real cool release, awesome cover music. You would have to do allot to top this one "cover artist wise", we will see with Bodypump 84. 
  •  09-11-2012, 7:56 AM 136759 in reply to 136718

rockymount:

T2 – especially with those ‘pressure cooker’ bottom half’s at the end.

]

after a break of one month of holidays and doing this track : big OUCH!! Crying

•  09-11-2012, 10:28 AM 136762 in reply to 136759

Any idea why there is an alternative track 3? Usually it's because the usual one has suggestive lyrics but I can't hear any.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML