Getting the Funk out of Dri-Fit

Last post 08-19-2007, 2:09 PM by onthecoast. 9 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  08-17-2007, 12:26 PM 12442

Getting the Funk out of Dri-Fit

Not totally PUMP related, but also just fitnes in general.  Does anybody else have a problem getting their Dri-Fit stuff to smell nice after wearing and washing a few times?  It just holds the stink in. Trust me.  I'm a clean freak, too.  Has anybody found anything good to wash your workout stuff in? 
  •  08-17-2007, 1:24 PM 12448 in reply to 12442

Re: Getting the Funk out of Dri-Fit

For my white workout clothes I've found that soaking them in vinegar for a bit before washing helps keep them from going yellow as quickly - that may also work for getting rid of any lingering odor.  I usually use white vinegar and throw them into the wash while they're still wet (but wrung out).  I haven't noticed any extra funk on the few dri-fit (Nike - is that what you have?) things I own - but it really doesn't take me long to re-funk my workout clothes once I get going so I don't notice if it was there before or "new." 
  •  08-17-2007, 4:40 PM 12456 in reply to 12448

You aren't using fabric softener are you???  That's a no-no with drifit, under armour, all the good stuff....Read the labels.

We found out the hard way...my husband wears Under Amour under his police vest...He kept complaining about the smell.  I used Downy in the rinse cycle...never thought anything of it....until that happened.  I read the label...fabric softener inhibits the effectiveness of the fabric. 

•  08-17-2007, 5:24 PM 12458 in reply to 12456

Have the same problem not just with Dri-fit clothing all gym wear.  When they get that smell I just soak in nappy soaker, any brand and wash the smell disappears for a while and when it reappears repeat.  It does the job. Doesn't seem to affect the clothing at all and is much more comfortable wearing.  Believe me it doesn't mean you're dirty some of us just prespire more than others.

Happy Pumping!

Always Be the Best You Can, Never Ever, Ever Give Up! Dare to be Different! What You See is What You Get!
  •  08-17-2007, 6:22 PM 12461 in reply to 12442

I swear by Oxi-Clean.  My bras always seemed fresh and clean coming out of the dryer... but the minute I sweat in them there was a big F-U-N-K.  I tried vinegar but that didn't work for me.  Now I just add a scoop of Oxi-Clean (in addition to my regular detergent) to every load and my clothes have never gotten funkier than me since!!

Happy laundering!!Yes

•  08-18-2007, 8:27 AM 12493 in reply to 12442

I use a cap full of vinegar in the wash along with Mountain Fresh Tide, no softener or dryer, ever.  So far so good.  Of course now I crave french fries.....

We found if the dri-fit clothes are not taken out of the washer and hung immediately the smell comes back, even after only 10 minutes of sitting in the washer.  
  •  08-18-2007, 3:19 PM 12507 in reply to 12442

Thanks for everyone's replies.  One, I have discovered that I was using dryer sheets.  I didn't even notice you were not suppose to use fabric softener with this stuff and I have been doing so for years.  I will try everyone's suggestions.  I have to say that the sports bras are the worse.  Nothing like thinking you've gotten something clean on and you start working out for 5 minutes and it just stinks!Stick out tongue
  •  08-18-2007, 4:25 PM 12512 in reply to 12507

cookiepie:
    I didn't even notice you were not suppose to use fabric softener with this stuff and I have been doing so for years.

Wait! I think there a couple of things going on here.  One thing you should do first is Google search on "stripping softener fabric diaper" for lots of insight into odors and using fabric softeners.

Next, using fabric softener with anything containing cotton reduces it's absorbency - especially like towels. With the new dri-line type fabrics, using softener greatly reduces their moisture wicking action which is their main advantage over just cotton or synthetic.  Using softener sheets in the dryer coats the dryer insides and it carries over from one load to the next.  Maybe best thing with high tech fabrics is to not use wash cycle softener and hang them out to dry.  Absorbency plus no static cling.

I just edited out a whole paragraph here after reading the Google results.  Note that vinegar can help or cause an acrid smell depending on whether you have soft or hard water.  There seems to be a preference for "oxy" bleaches over chlorine bleaches as noted in a previous post.

I had a sharp, pungent, acrid smell in my gym stuff until I changed from Tide to a less expensive store brand detergent and the smell seemed to go away.  doh!  not simple! 

Rex

Check out my facebook page. I'm always looking for a few good friends. Oh, Excuse me... May I motivate you?
  •  08-19-2007, 1:30 PM 12548 in reply to 12512

Sporting good and running stores also sell specialty detergents for these new high tech. materials. I have tried both brands (Win sportswash, and Penguin SportWash ) they both work great, cost about $10/bottle, but you only use a VERY small capful... maybe 3 tbsp. the cleansers work with the fabric to release the smell, simular to the way "febreeze" works.
  •  08-19-2007, 2:09 PM 12554 in reply to 12548

I have and use loads of Dri-Fit gym shirts and shorts mainly Nike and Adidas for Bodypump, cardiovascular exercise and weightlifting - lots of sweat which the Dri-Fit deals with. I wash them with Win sportswash and then with the next wear add a 'scoosh' of D&G Masculine to the front and back (there is a D&G Feminine for the girls). Works a treat.
View as RSS news feed in XML