Foot Position

Last post 10-05-2011, 4:24 AM by pipera. 18 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
  •  09-13-2011, 4:52 AM 117884

Foot Position

Fairly new instructor here...

What exactly is the difference in the back foot positioning in Warrior I vs. Warrior II?  Is Warrior I more at a 45-60 degree angle and Warrior II is at 90?  Are heels aligned? I'm sure this was gone over in training, but brain overload may have taken over by then.  Thanks for any help!

•  09-13-2011, 5:12 AM 117888 in reply to 117884

Re: Foot Position

Back foot position is the same angle in both (if possible) - but the difference between poses is that W1 - feet are hip width apart and the hips face front - in W2 the legs heels are parallel and the hips face the same way as the arms.

Please read my blog at: www.grandnat.co.uk
  •  09-13-2011, 9:16 AM 117898 in reply to 117888

True Warrior I and Warrior II have the foot in the same position in terms of lining up the heels. Warrior I has the foot turned slightly forward (needs to be when you turn your hips to the front)...

I'm pretty sure it's the same in BodyBalance... we only have a hip width stance when we lunge, not in the first 2 Warrior positions. In fact, if you check the BB53 notes for the transition from Warrior I to II you'll see "back foot turns out" as a set up cue.

•  09-13-2011, 11:31 AM 117903 in reply to 117898

ck1-:

True Warrior I and Warrior II have the foot in the same position in terms of lining up the heels. Warrior I has the foot turned slightly forward (needs to be when you turn your hips to the front)...

I'm pretty sure it's the same in BodyBalance... we only have a hip width stance when we lunge, not in the first 2 Warrior positions. In fact, if you check the BB53 notes for the transition from Warrior I to II you'll see "back foot turns out" as a set up cue.

Legs a little wider apart is a modification of W1 - some people find it hard to rotate the hips forward and keep the heels parallel. This is why there were complaints about the 53 Standing Strength and the W2 arm circle to hips forward part.

Please read my blog at: www.grandnat.co.uk
  •  09-13-2011, 3:38 PM 117908 in reply to 117898

ck1-:

From the yoga I've done in the past, I'm not sure I'd agree. I was taught the following (assuming left leg forward):

W1: A line drawn through the centre of the front foot going backwards would cross the back foot at the heel. Toes of the right foot would be about 45-60 degrees out to the right.

W2: The same line drawn backwards would intersect (roughly) the centre of the back foot. Toes on the right foot would be slightly further turned out than in W1 but the right heel would still be the furthest point away from the front (left) toes.

To be fair, that was a fairly strict Iyengar class that I attended, so I don't know if it was the instructor's interpretation, Iyengar's intrepretation or something else (me misremembering can't be completely ruled out). If I were to teach full poses that's what I'd go for - that said, I think Roger's comments on modifications in Balance fit pretty much what I'd expect to teach in an average class. 

•  09-13-2011, 6:57 PM 117913 in reply to 117908

Thanks all!  Glad it wasn't a stupid question!

•  09-14-2011, 1:47 AM 117926 in reply to 117908

seb_rock - that's correct in the yoga I've been taught from various Iyengar, Desikachar, Anusara and Svoboda/Devi lineage instructors.
  •  09-14-2011, 7:28 AM 117937 in reply to 117903

roger-grandnat:

Legs a little wider apart is a modification of W1 - some people find it hard to rotate the hips forward and keep the heels parallel. This is why there were complaints about the 53 Standing Strength and the W2 arm circle to hips forward part.

I'd have to disagree with that - the problems that people had with that circle move generally came through a failure to release the front knee (and it highlights the difference between Warrior I and II foot position because the hips naturally turn when you have the foot position turned to the 45 to 60 degree angle). If you drop into Warrior I from a lunge position the heel naturally drops back in line with the front heel (as it should).

Have a look at the yogajournal website for the differences between the poses - it's certainly possible that different forms of yoga have variances of course, but it matches with my BSY Hatha information and yoga classes that I've attended.

•  09-15-2011, 2:51 PM 118022 in reply to 117884

There is a total distiction in foot alignment. War. 1 it its a heel to heel alignment rolling the back hip in to square to front, War. 2 front heel to back arch alignment for the hips to open. Think of it this way, one is a closed hip warrior, the other an open hip warrior. But...how many cts do you have to teach everything, this is more for you to know and over time share
  •  09-17-2011, 3:31 AM 118152 in reply to 118022

valeria:
    There is a total distiction in foot alignment. War. 1 it its a heel to heel alignment rolling the back hip in to square to front, War. 2 front heel to back arch alignment for the hips to open. Think of it this way, one is a closed hip warrior, the other an open hip warrior. But...how many cts do you have to teach everything, this is more for you to know and over time share

No, there isn't a total distinction - it will vary according to who teaches you!

Amusingly, while my yoga course defined heel alignment, my BodyBalance manual (which is quite old now) doesn't!

•  09-27-2011, 9:02 PM 118626 in reply to 117884

In my training, I was told that W1 should have feet aligned as if on railroad tracks (hip distance apart) so that the average participant can roll the hip of the back leg forward so that hips are squared to towards the front.  Toes on the back foot are at a 45ish angle.  In W2, heels are aligned as if on a balance beam, with the back foot at a 90º angle so that the average participant can square the hips and torso to the side.  I know that in formal yoga, the heels are aligned in W1 as well for those advanced enough to get the proper hip alignment in that position, but we're not doing full, advanced yoga.  We're protecting the joints of your average, somewhat flexible gym goer.
  •  09-28-2011, 3:23 AM 118634 in reply to 118626

brendamarinafields:
    In my training, I was told that W1 should have feet aligned as if on railroad tracks (hip distance apart) so that the average participant can roll the hip of the back leg forward so that hips are squared to towards the front.  

Just go and watch any BB/BF dvd and tell me if that's what you see...

•  10-02-2011, 9:47 PM 118981 in reply to 118634

ck1-:

brendamarinafields:
    In my training, I was told that W1 should have feet aligned as if on railroad tracks (hip distance apart) so that the average participant can roll the hip of the back leg forward so that hips are squared to towards the front.  

Just go and watch any BB/BF dvd and tell me if that's what you see...

Hum, just did, and guess what, I'm right.  You don't have to go around contradicting everything I say.  Why don't you pop in the DVD for 53 and watch the presenter coach feet hip-distance apart for lunge and then keep them there when he drops his heal down for W1.  Both Corey and David have their heals as if on railroad tracks; Anna has her heals in line.

•  10-02-2011, 9:51 PM 118982 in reply to 118981

and gosh, if you check out 52, JACKIE's feet are hip distance apart in W1.
  •  10-03-2011, 3:35 AM 118993 in reply to 118982

brendamarinafields:
    and gosh, if you check out 52, JACKIE's feet are hip distance apart in W1.

Or you could look at the instructor resources on this site and see the instructions given there... hip width isn't mentioned in either the manual or in the training video...

It varies according to the dvd you look at - which was the point I was trying to make!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML