How do you make a 45 second pause on a CD/IPOD or MP3?

Last post 08-19-2011, 9:37 AM by aldelaney. 10 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  06-28-2011, 4:53 PM 112693

How do you make a 45 second pause on a CD/IPOD or MP3?

Hi Body Pumpers,

I am a new instructor to body pump as my club just launched it for the first time ever in our club over the weekend.  I will be teaching my first class in just a few days and I have read here that some of you actually have made a 45 second pause in between each track.  I got a 20 foot extension cord for my MP3 player and we should be getting a remote soon.  I just don't want to be dealing with a remote and rushing to the next move, ya know?  Or even dealing with my MP3 player in the middle of a class.  I want it to be as smooooth as possible.  Can anyone tell me how you can get a 45 second pause in between tracks?  Or how does anyone else control the stop and go of the music??  Thanks for your help in advance!

•  06-28-2011, 10:51 PM 112702 in reply to 112693

Re: How do you make a 45 second pause on a CD/IPOD or MP3?

if you have itunes, I know you can buy silence, you get a song that is nothing but 30-45 seconds of just silence and then you can put it into your playlist on your ipod so that you dont have to touch the ipod during the whole class, that is the one way i know that you can do it, hope it helps :)

•  06-28-2011, 11:34 PM 112706 in reply to 112702

Sounds like a great idea...I've been sprinting from the middle of the room to the side of the room to shut the music off and on. I think it burns more calories, but it's a pain in the behind and I'm sure a distraction to the class! Though, they enjoy seeing me slow down after lunges...ouch.

•  06-29-2011, 8:33 AM 112749 in reply to 112693

The easiest thing to do is to use ur recorder that is on ur laptop. Press record and record the silence for 45 seconds. Save,and drag into iTunes. Got the idea of some one here.. but great idea...

Myles66
  •  06-29-2011, 11:18 AM 112764 in reply to 112693

One solution, which I use quite often, is to make each song a playlist. For example, BP-Track 01, BP-Track 02, etc. That way, they're sorted in order when you need to use them. It also allows a smooth ending to the song, especially when demonstration some of that good ol' fitness magic! If the iPod hookup is close to you, the only extra effort will be to press play for the next track. If the iPod hookup is farther away, you may have to do a quick sprint. I recently purchased a remote with the docking station. I have to play with it to see how to use the remote to advance to the next playlist. Stay tuned...Good luck!!!

•  06-29-2011, 5:02 PM 112794 in reply to 112764

I recorded a minute of silence on my computer, uploaded it to iTunes and then loaded it into my BP playlist.
  •  07-08-2011, 1:00 PM 113433 in reply to 112794

Great idea.  Do you have an ipod?  If so, how did you get the silence inbetween all the songs?

•  07-13-2011, 12:56 PM 113785 in reply to 112693

I used the free program "Audacity" to record silence and splice in an airline chime that indicates "15 seconds before the music starts." Silence, then "boop-boooop, boop-boooop."

I edited these so that I have one that is 30 seconds long, one that is 35 seconds, and one that is 40 seconds (add 5 seconds for the lead-ins and you have transitions of 35, 40 and 45 seconds). I use different ones between different tracks depending on how much time I need. I may need to make a slightly longer one for those transitions that just seem to take a little more time (not many of them, but in BP 78, I need a longer one). I use an extra 5-second spacer between the abs and cool-down track...doesn't need a chime.

I pulled these into iTunes, as others here have suggested, and added them to Body Pump playlists, and I use my iPod in class. It is working well. I talk too much, generally, so I am using this technique to discipline myself (and my classes) to make transitions quickly and efficiently. :) 

Participants in my class like it. They are pleased about the chime. They are changing weight more quickly, and they are NOT running around trying to put things away between tracks.  

I would just make sure you rehearse your transitions before you get to class. You may think you have enough time, but in fact, you may not have the right spacer in the right places. Like I said, I have to change some in 78. They worked really great when I taught 76 the other day, though.

tm 

•  07-13-2011, 2:25 PM 113791 in reply to 112693

I have 15, 30 and 45 second silence tracks I can email you if you want to PM me with your email address...

Shanna

LesMills IS life!!
  •  07-17-2011, 6:16 AM 113996 in reply to 113791

Thank so much!  I found the silence tracks on iTunes.  It was easy to download and add to my playlist.  It was under Brett Black, various lengths of silence.  I made copy to a CD and used it in class.  So no choice except to keep moving and you get done in one hour.  So gald to be part of this forum!
  •  08-19-2011, 9:37 AM 116245 in reply to 113785

Posted in response to the reply 113785 re: using "Audacity" and sound cues. 

This is simply brilliant!!!  I've been looking for a way to play a single song and stop from the ipod so I can stretch instead of sprint to the stereo between tracks, and I also struggle to get the quick transitions required to finish within the 55 minutes I'm allowed. This simple solution solved both problems, was really simple to implement! Thanks so much! 

Amy

View as RSS news feed in XML