Burning pain in the neck

Last post 06-07-2011, 3:24 PM by Combat_Liz. 2 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  06-07-2011, 7:00 AM 110960

Burning pain in the neck

I have been doing the BodyCombat class once a week for a couple of months.  For three or four days after the class, the muscles in my neck, from behind the ear to the top of my shoulder burn.  This doesn't feel like sore muscles.  Is this from punching hard into thin air?  Or the snapping back of the fist after the punch?  Am I doing something wrong.

Scott 64
    Filed under:
  •  06-07-2011, 12:57 PM 111016 in reply to 110960

Re: Burning pain in the neck

hmm thats a good one, I get the same thing every once in a while. I was chalking it up to tension headaches and taking excedrin for it (I get super tight neck and shoulder muscles on the side I carry my kid :) ). Works, but if you find out a better explanation, share!!
  •  06-07-2011, 3:24 PM 111024 in reply to 110960

Re: Burning pain in the neck

Ouch, that doesn't sound fun at all! 

It's hard to say what might be the cause without seeing you punch - having said that, you might be tensing your neck when you are in the class which would cause all the muscles to complain.

I'd recommend getting yourself down to a good remedial or sports massage therapist (or similar) and getting them to take a look.  Chances are they can work knots out of the muscles (if it is muscular) and ease the pain.  

To quickly reply to the lady below the OP with the headaches (sorry the reply window has covered up your profile pic and name!).  If your getting headaches from super tight muscles in your neck and shoulders, I feel your pain. I get headaches that last for days and pain killers don't touch - they are usually fixed by a good massage (Swedish, Remedial, Shiatsu or Sports) as I find the headaches are from the muscular tension.  I've ended up getting massages every month / 6 weeks or so as part of my 'prevention not cure' plan.

Hope you guys feel better soon!

View as RSS news feed in XML