Body Pump and Beach Body????

Last post 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM by melaniebolen. 347 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 8 of 24 (348 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
  •  10-19-2011, 11:39 AM 120343 in reply to 120290

Re: Body Pump and Beach Body????

LMI tried this before- in 1999 with a home-version VHS tape re-hashing some routines from older releases.  Jackie Mills led this workout herself, with her team back them (Steve Renata, Mike McSweeney, etc) (I still have a copy).  So LMI trying to get into the home market is not new.

However, after having stewed on this for about a week, I have come to this assessment.  I think the thing all of us are reacting to the most is how we're being told that 'everyone' will benefit from this.  But when you break it down, here's how the tangible and intangible benefits will pan out:

LMI: + $$$

BeachBody: + $$$

Clubs:  + or - $$$ (they will have to pay additional fees for further use of 'embellished' products, but could potentially sell more memberships from users who decide they like the LMI classes in their gyms)

Instructors: + more participants (based on the notion that home purchasers will seek out the instructor-assisted workouts if they like the home version).  US trainers will potentially get bigger classes but will not get any kind of compensation for higher KPIs in classes.  In addition, they will also have to follow up with elaborating on the 'claims' made in the DVDs and infomercials, causing a disjoint in 'facts' and confusion (then lack of trust) in the program... however, no $$ will go their way.

No wonder most of the negative feedback is coming from the "tribe" is by instructors and clubs.

•  10-19-2011, 2:19 PM 120353 in reply to 120289

I talked to the other BP instructors at my gym about this last night.  All of us are worried that the classes will diminish and attendance will drop but we HOPE that people get bored at home and come to the gym for the real thing.  We were all a little depressed at first but we are hopeful that this grows our classes.  On the other hand, I am worried this will diminish the "brand" and the "fitness magic" aspect of the program.  People love our classes because we call their names, we have silly catch phrases and we push our class to the limit.  Most of the instructors I look up to in the BP program really watch their classes and they comment on what they see and push them to do their best.  They feed off each other.  I would hate for people who have never tried BP to buy the DVDs and never experience the live class setting.  The live class setting is what it is all about!  We sat through 3 days of training to talk about the participants and fitness magic and now it feels like that doesn't even matter if you are going to sell it on a DVD.

I also really hope that they have master trainers in these infomercials.  If not, I might throw a 10 lb weight through the window.  I don't want cheesy Beach Body people selling this kick ass program!

•  10-19-2011, 3:02 PM 120356 in reply to 120267

matty453:

Upto 7 pages of critical feedback and this is just on the forums! Imagine when its common knowledge amongst other instructors!

LMI please address the critical feedback rather than always trying to use the words exciting and opportunities. And please explain this 'fact' of 1000 calories. Under what circumstances would this occcur?

I'd still like a response from LMI on here but looks like I'm not going to get one.

Why change your business model by selling home kits? It just baffles my mind. Such a risky thing to do. LMI you've just recently released 2 new programmes (Sh'Bam and CxWorx) can't you just be happy to see how much business they generate rather than doing something which you knew was going to annoy alot of instructors?

•  10-19-2011, 4:26 PM 120359 in reply to 120356

I suspect that Beachbody would have gone with someone else if it hadn't been LMI. LMI has really been hit by the Zumba system, no matter what the quality is like, group fitness has a fashion element to it, and Zumba created a buzz. This has hit LMI and associated gyms. It probably feels it needs to re-grasp initiative. It has no infrastructure to sell direct to public. Beachbody does. Beachbody doesn't have instructors, but it does have sales personnel. And that is what you need if you want to go mass market.  Would you prefer it if it had been Beachbody and Pump FX? At least you could ignore it, I suppose. What the outcome will be for you is very different to the outcome for LMI. In the end LMI may have made a commercial decision to ensure it doesn't shrink or it continues to grow. LMI might have felt it has no choice as a business apart from going direct to consumers. This is how it aims to do it.

The confidential nature of most top-level deals means you would not have been told anything before the deal is completed. It would be very easy for any kind of deal of this nature to be disrupted or to break down, so that those people in the know would be held in strict confidence. Instructors are not employees of LMI, you are customers yourself - you are in effect buying part of a franchise. But where will you be if LMI flounders in the market? You won't have the range and breadth of programmes available to you and you won't have the products you have today. They could be A LOT worse.

I can see why you're all upset, but reality says, it aint really your problem. Keep plugging away with your programmes and be the best you can be for your participants. We appreciate it.

•  10-19-2011, 8:18 PM 120363 in reply to 119908

AGREED !!

•  10-19-2011, 8:51 PM 120366 in reply to 120359

dr-db:

The confidential nature of most top-level deals means you would not have been told anything before the deal is completed. It would be very easy for any kind of deal of this nature to be disrupted or to break down, so that those people in the know would be held in strict confidence. Instructors are not employees of LMI, you are customers yourself - you are in effect buying part of a franchise. But where will you be if LMI flounders in the market? You won't have the range and breadth of programmes available to you and you won't have the products you have today. They could be A LOT worse.

I can see why you're all upset, but reality says, it aint really your problem. Keep plugging away with your programmes and be the best you can be for your participants. We appreciate it.

Great post and from a participant! Agree pretty much completely. 

•  10-19-2011, 10:05 PM 120374 in reply to 120366

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all the feedback that has been coming through, we are listening.

There is some information and FAQs available on the website which might help answer some of your questions.

You can find the FAQs here: www.lesmills.com/lesmillspumpnews

Thanks

Les Mills

-The team at Les Mills International
    Filed under: ,
  •  10-19-2011, 11:27 PM 120377 in reply to 120374

I just watched the video short on the website again and cracked up when I noticed how light the weights were on the intructors' bars.  I hope that there is some disclaimer on the DVD's that these instructors did not get their physiques doing Pump with these paltry weights.  So much for "role model" weights.  I do give the team credit for being great actors for acting like they are working hard squatting 20lbs.

Also, on the instructor bios they have Rach listed as "Rachel Newsham" not "Rachel Cohen".  Any ideas why?

•  10-20-2011, 5:11 AM 120403 in reply to 120377

jkhill11:

Also, on the instructor bios they have Rach listed as "Rachel Newsham" not "Rachel Cohen".  Any ideas why?

Her and Dan split up.   Well, so I have been told.  It's not like I know them personally.

•  10-20-2011, 7:53 AM 120421 in reply to 120403

Last night I was talking with a devoted BodyPump participant and told her about the Pump and Beach Body venture and selling Pump to people in their homes. The first thing she said, after her jaw hit the floor and she regained her composure was "there goes Les Mills credibility right out the window!" She also agrees that it totally cheapens LMI. I can't help but think that this is not going to have the intended result of packing classes. They could have easily done a tv advertising campaign without selling out! You can make LMI and Pump household names through advertising on tv and not just in the gyms themselves. This just reeks! I had to teach Pump right after hearing this news and fuming about it for hours and I will tell ya, I wasn't nearly as PUMPED for Pump.

SAD, SAD, SAD!!!! 

•  10-20-2011, 8:07 AM 120425 in reply to 120421

alyssanicole:

Last night I was talking with a devoted BodyPump participant and told her about the Pump and Beach Body venture and selling Pump to people in their homes. The first thing she said, after her jaw hit the floor and she regained her composure was "there goes Les Mills credibility right out the window!" She also agrees that it totally cheapens LMI. I can't help but think that this is not going to have the intended result of packing classes.

Can't honestly think why any participant would have such strong feelings about it - or why it would be something you would discuss with them TBH... As a participant I was always very into the LMI classes (and pump in particular) but I'd never have considered it a bad thing to have access to it outside of the studio.

I only find it annoying as an instructor because it demonstrates a level of hypocrisy from LMI which I've always felt existed anyway! If anything I find it amusing that people are more up in arms about this than getting ripped off in music and licencing costs over the last few years...

alyssanicole:
    I had to teach Pump right after hearing this news and fuming about it for hours and I will tell ya, I wasn't nearly as PUMPED for Pump.

The class hasn't changed, so again, I can't understand why it affects how you teach your class?

•  10-20-2011, 8:17 AM 120427 in reply to 120343

LMI you know you could always back out of this idea altogether and listen to the reasonable suggestions that instructors have made (ie lower license fees for gyms).
  •  10-20-2011, 8:22 AM 120428 in reply to 120425

First of all, she is not only a very devoted BodyPump participant but a very good friend of mine. She should be an instructor herself but her job is too time consuming to allow for all of the practice to make perfect. And I really can discuss this with her if I choose to. And why would you find it hard to understand why a participant would have strong feelings about LMI programs? That is the reason why people join our club instead of others in the area. We are the only ones that offer any LMI and they LOVE the programs.

As for being as fumed as I am, yeah, it changed the way I felt about teaching Pump the other day because I felt like we are no longer as important to the program as we were. I'm afraid that this won't have the intended result that LMI is looking for. I think that this could have been done differently. Like for example, lowering the cost of how much clubs have to pay for their programs so more clubs, other than Golds, can afford the programs. What they charge clubs is outrageous! And if they lowered the cost for clubs it would be more effective long term for LMI. What happens to the person who orders this lovely beach body pump package, falls in love with pump and wants to join the club to get the REAL DEAL and there are no clubs around them that have Pump because it costs the gym too much to carry it? I just don't see this being as wonderful as they are claiming it will be. 

•  10-20-2011, 8:33 AM 120429 in reply to 120359

Glad I'm not in the US! A few comments about Zumba teachers benefitting from the DVDs and infomercials - how will this benefit me as an instructor who can only teach LM programmes in a LM licenced gym?

And have you seen the ridiculous claims of those ten-ton-tessies turning into finely-cut fitness models after only 3 months of Zumba.... Do people really believe this? Honestly?

Zumba teachers can do a 1 day course then go and hire a room at the local church hall or community centre and earn £££. I have done 3 days of training for each of my LM programmes and HAVE to buy new music every quarter and HAVE to attend 2 QWs a year - I can't just hire a room and teach Balance or Pump wherever I like - I'm limited to teaching in licenced clubs or paying silly money for a licence in a single named location.

People are struggling financially in the recession, they are already cancelling their gym memberships, this will just encourage them if they can do Pump at home for a one-off fee. So they buy the DVD, so they may get bored, injured, etc. but when the clubs go quieter the classes get cancelled, then they can't justify the monthy licence fees so no LM classes on the timetable, end result is less work for LM instructors. LM shooting themselves in the foot? Fewer instructors, fewer clubs paying monthly fees....

Maybe doing a DVD at home will motivate some people to join a gym and pay monthly membership fees to do Pump for real, but I would not place any bets on that happening!

And all those beachbody posters keep talking about is how much money they will make by signing us up to join their club and sell their supplements... I could probably count on one finger the number of supplement takers in my pump classes!!! Eat a healthy balanced diet and save your pennies!

•  10-20-2011, 9:34 AM 120430 in reply to 120428

alyssanicole:

First of all, she is not only a very devoted BodyPump participant but a very good friend of mine. She should be an instructor herself but her job is too time consuming to allow for all of the practice to make perfect. And I really can discuss this with her if I choose to. And why would you find it hard to understand why a participant would have strong feelings about LMI programs? That is the reason why people join our club instead of others in the area. We are the only ones that offer any LMI and they LOVE the programs.

I think I explained that I was a devoted LMI person before becoming an instructor - in fact, BodyPump is the reason I do classes! I would have jumped at the chance to buy a BodyPump set before becoming an instructor and still attended classes!

alyssanicole:
      Like for example, lowering the cost of how much clubs have to pay for their programs so more clubs, other than Golds, can afford the programs. What they charge clubs is outrageous! And if they lowered the cost for clubs it would be more effective long term for LMI. What happens to the person who orders this lovely beach body pump package, falls in love with pump and wants to join the club to get the REAL DEAL and there are no clubs around them that have Pump because it costs the gym too much to carry it? I just don't see this being as wonderful as they are claiming it will be. 

Hold on, there's no actual change to the licencing fees are there? The only concern must surely be that this will take away existing members who would rather buy a dvd... and I'm pretty sure that the sort of person who works out at the gym isn't likely to give that up for a DVD?

Is there any LMI competition from the likes of BTS (Group Power etc)?

Page 8 of 24 (348 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML